[ST] If u backfire enough will your bike run in reverse? :p

Bought a used 02 Sprint ST w/ Triumph performance
Carbon can.  Previous owner says it has the
performance tune #15 on it but I'm beginning to think
this may be a lie.  Reason being?  Lots of backfiring
on deceleration.  I'm thinking the bike is running
lean on deceleration off the gas.  I know my D & D
full exhaust on my Zx-11 snap, cracked, popped once in
awhile on deceleration, and took it to be somewhat
normal to pop a little with an freer flowing exhaust,
but this is much worse.

Questions:
1) What will dealer charge to find out what tune is on
there? (labor 1/2 hour maybe?  Diagnostic plug is
right under seat, should be simple plug and play, no?)

2) What does it cost to put on the performance tune?
Time?

3) What else could be the problem?

4) Do most dealerships have exhaust gas analyzers?
Would this be the thing I'd want to troubleshoot
properly?  Or would a dyno graph showing down on power
be sufficient?

FWIW- the bike runs flawlessly otherwise, no
overheating or weirdness.  I got 44 MPG two-up
aggressive twisties, 47 solo and 52 highway this wknd,
not too shabby.  I figure the 52mph was because I am
running lean.  I ran the entire gambit of Fuel Octanes
also-> 87, 89, 91, 93 and no noticeable difference.  I
will run 89 Octane (R + M/2 otherwise known as pump
gas) from now on though as a buddy says that an engine
can ping apart over time even if u can't hear it and
that's what the manual calls for....I just wanted to
see if the bike could handle it in a pinch.

Thanks,

Bryce