[ST] bump start / low battery

<What about the fuel injection and the electric fuel pump? Will a really
low batt. run the fuel pump?

Al Gentry>

quick answer: no. the first day i proudly rode my shiny red ST to work, i
left the parking lights on. about two 'runs' at bump starting at the end
of the day, and it dawned on me - 'this ain't gonna happen'. i got the
maintenance guys to jump start me from the utility vehicle.

for 'how much will a low battery be good for': a couple of years back i
borrowed a [carbureted] Buell for a ride from Norman to Tulsa. about
halfway there, we stopped for breakfast - and it wouldn't crank after
that. i spent the rest of the day bump starting it - heroic, but WORK. it
finally ran out of sparks in late afternoon, after running the lights and
ignition for 180 miles past where the battery would crank the engine over.
[15 minutes connected to a car charged it enough to get the last 25 miles
home].

bp