From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Masiak, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 7:51 AM
To: 'ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [ST] Compression Test

My kid's XR50 is, in my opinion, spitting too much oil out the airbox hose.
I was told that it's not just one thing that can cause that.  My first
troubleshooting step is going to be a compression check to see if the rings
are shot or if there's a valve problem.

Intuitively I understand how to read the results that would tell me the
rings are bad, but how can a compression check tell me if I have valve
trouble.  Can anyone elaborate in dummy terms?

- -Rich

*