Re: [ST] Who has ridden both an RS/ST?

I haven't ridden an S3 or an ST, but I agree with STeve.  The RS should
be quicker in all things, lighter, smaller, simpler, yes, more crude (I
like minimalist) and the better commuter/mountain bomber.  All that plus
STeve's comments, is EXACTLY why I bought it over the ST.  Well, that
and it doesn't have the illogical SSSA!  :-))))  No offense intended.  ;-)

I'm kinda bummed that the RS sells so poorly they didn't import any (or
a dozen depending on who you ask) '03 RSs.

STeve Duncan wrote:

> Keith is spot on, from his perspective, IMO.  BUT let me give the same
> POV from the other side.  I had a 98 trophy 1200 before buying the ST.
> The ST was a much better fit for me, more agile, quicker in transition
> and still good wind protection.  I have had the opportunity to ride an
> RS loaner for quite a few miles over the last few years while my ST was
> in for service (thanks to a great local dealer).  this has ranged from
> single day, to week long stints.  My thoughts on the RS;  same feeling
> motor (should as it is the same), quicker steering but for me it feels a
> bit spindly, less substantial.  Some may say that's an advantage, I
> don't.  The cockpit looks downright cheap, unfinished, compared to the
> ST.  Wind protection is minimal.  If your plan on multi-day trips (I do
> alot)  the RS will leave you wishing for more faring (esp. in the cold
> or the rain).  So I guess it depends on your intended use.  If it's
> mostly day rides, the RS is a gas, fast, quick and superbly confident.
> If it's also more LD riding then the ST is the bomb.
>
> Now if your really want a comfortable Triumph that will kick ass on
> almost ANY pure sportbike, go find yourself a Speed Triple.  Those
> fu$#ers rock!  I've spend a few miles on those as well.
>
> And, all you RS guys, NO OFFENSE, just my take having spent time on both
> bikes (and about a dozen others over 34 yrs of riding like I had a death
> wish)  <g>

- --
John Albright
'02 RS