Re: [ST] Who has ridden both an RS/ST?

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 10:47  AM, Bryce wrote:
> Just looking for comments regarding the difference in
> handling.  I didn't mind the ST's handling but may go
> for the RS and modify it to be as comfy as the RS if
> it handles that much better.

I've put 34K+ miles on my Y2K ST, and maybe a couple hundred miles on
an RS. (Yeah, yeah, I'm a wimp. :-) The RS feels narrower and lighter,
and it tips into the corners more easily, too. However, the rear end
seems to be rock hard compared with my ST's. It may just be the
particular RS I ride--a service loaner from my dealer--but it seems to
be setup with stiffer suspension settings out of the box than I could
ever manage with my ST, even with the preload cranked all the way up.
The seating position is more aggressive, with more weight on the bars,
which may help provide the impression of easier steering than the ST.
There's more wind noise with the RS, too, but its not a lot more. I
haven't ridden the RS in rainy weather, so I don't know how badly one
could get soaked.

I don't complain about the heat coming off my ST, though, and I wear an
Aerostitch every minute I'm on the bike, so maybe I'm not the best
judge of heat discomfort?

Anyways, these are just my observations. Bryce, get yer butt to a
dealer and try 'em both! That's the great thing about Triumph
dealers--you can ride any bike on the floor and decide for yourself.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.
San Jose, CA  (USA)
*** TSRA Western Rallye in New Mexico: Sept. 19th and 20th ***