Re: [ST] Steering dampener recommendation

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, STeve Duncan wrote:

>> I've put about 15K miles on it, and have become slightly
>> disenchanted with the steering wobble I experience when I let
>> off the bars. I've got hopes that a dampener can help solve
>> this. Can anyone recommend one.
>>
>> Also, has anyone else had this problem?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Andy
>
> It is more than likely your steering head bearings. Have them
> checked/adjusted at your local dealer. I had this problem a
> year or so back, wobble under de-acceleration when I took my
> hands off the bars, usually started right about 40-45mph.
> Steering head bearing adjustment cleared it right up. I don't
> think you need a damper.

Yup, as well if your front tire is starting to get cup'd the
same will happen. I let the last 207 front on my Sprint ST get a
bit too cup'd (not enough air pressure on a longer ride) and I
was under the impression my bike was going whip me off.

The dealer tighted my steering head, and still charged me $30
for the 5 minutes of work, even though it was still under
warantee. (yup BWM of N. Dallas) and put a new 207 on the front,
and she felt like new again.

cheers,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)

End of st-digest V2002 #1138