Re: [ST] Surging [was: Carbon Fiber Pipes and Helibars]

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:08:51PM -0800, Paul O'Brien wrote:
> Rick - Thanks for the tips.  I'll keep these things in mind if I get a CF
> pipe.  Interesting what you said about the effects of gasohol and idle
> mixture on rpm surging.  The only surging I really can feel on the bike is
> when I'm doing low speed/low rpm riding in slow traffic, usually below 2000
> rpms.  I have to use the clutch more in these conditions to keep it smooth
> than on a carbed bike.  I understand the ST is considered to have excellent
> EFI so I'm wondering if my idle mixture needs some adjustment, I'm feeling
> the the "gasohol effect" or the condition is considered pretty normal.  I've
> only had the bike for 3 1/2 months so I'm still getting the feel for it.
> Since you seem to know quite a bit about fueling systems, any ideas about my
> low speed surging?

IMHO, surging below 2k rpm is irrelevant, as there is no reason to ride
lug the bike at that low an rpm.  Sure, the ST has lots of torque, but
come on, downshift sometimes.  :)

You might also try running a bottle of good quality fuel injector
cleaner like Chevron Techron through it, although your bike sounds
pretty new, so maybe this isn't necessary.

But, yes, the Sprint has a great FI system on it.  If you're really
worried about it, you could always ask your dealer to check it out.

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX