Re: [ST] Getting the shaft (why not belt?)

Can anyone tell me why doesn't any (other than Harley
and the smallest BMW) use belt drive?  With a
tensioning wheel (see Buell's XB's, the Firebolt and
the Lightning), it has nearly the same zero
maintenaince that a shaft enjoys and doesn't suffer
from the drivetrain lash that my ST suffers miserably
from.  Belts are good for 25-50K miles (depending on
application), and cost about the same to replace as a
chain.  The only downside I can see is the lack of
ability to chain sprockets -- which would be crucial
for racing, but NOT crucial for a sport touring bike
(or hooligan bike, or touring-sport bike, or cruiser,
etc, etc).

If anyone is thinking to themselves "what drive
lash?", ride your ST down to a HD/Buell dealership and
take thier offer to test ride a Firebolt, Lightning,
(assuming you don't have an a$$hole HD dealership
nearby -- they're are plenty of those for certain).
After spending some time on a Lightning, I am
convinced that for a street application, the self
tensioning belt is the way of the future.

Steve Hays
'99 Sprint ST