Re: [ST] Cheaper

(Note: my comments are meant to help Bryce out.  I know this is the
Sprint list, and people are not here to talk about honda's, but I think
I'm being fair and not bashing any bikes.  I hope any followups to my
post remain civil)

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 11:50:12AM -0700, Bryce wrote:
> I'm on both the VFR list and ST list here and find
> both bike to be very reliable.  A buddy of mine has
> 23k in one year on his 2002 ST and loves it.  Another
> buddy has 25 on his VFR and loves it.  Neither with
> major technical problems.

They are both great bikes and you can't go wrong with either.  Also,
both have a very loyal following, which to me is always a good sign of a
quality product.

> The major pluses I see with the ST is 200cc more engine and just as
> good fuel mileage or better.

The Sprint gets awesome fuel mileage and range.  And if you're comparing
it to a FI VFR, the Sprint's injection is much better.  I've only ridden
a FI VFR once (and it was a 98, so maybe they improved in later years),
but at low speeds the injection was very jerky, "off-on".

> Lots more torque and better ability to do two-up.

Certainly more torque.  Downshifting is optional on the Sprint.  In
fact, when riding the Sprint, I used to think they could have done with
just 3 gears, maybe 4.  Many times I'd go straight from 2nd to 6th,
which I also do on the honda.

My pillion is more comfy on the vfr.  We're going to Colorado on it in
June from TX.

> and the I-2 is easier to work on vs. a V-4

Typo, I'm sure, but it's an I-3.  I don't know how much work you need to
do to the actual engines, except for valve check/adjustments.  On the
Sprint, there's a special triumph tool ($) needed to check the valves.
On the vfr, it was easy to do, after removing the tank and most of the
bodywork.  No special tools needed, except feeler gauges of course, and
cam removal/alignment is relatively easy (no cam chains).  None of mine
were out of spec at 16k on the Honda, I had 3 adjusted on the Sprint at
10k.

> Pluses I see with the VFR is dealer support and possibly cheaper
> parts.

Price of parts is probably a wash.  And, at least in Dallas, most
dealers don't stock many vfr parts, but they can get them in 2 days.

> Proven reliability more so than the ST.  Cheaper on the used market.

Reliability for sure--except for the danged reg/rect issue.  :b You will
never need to open up a V4.  I know of at least 5 ST motors that have
been rebuilt.  My Sprint consumed and leaked oil, and I know of others
with oil-consuming Triumphs.  I know, these are only a few cases, and
there are hundreds of people with Sprints that haven't been rebuilt,
don't burn oil, don't leak oil.

As for the market, there are more hondas out there and more years to
choose from.  But I think they hold their value better than a Sprint.

Also, don't know what your luggage needs/wants are, but since you seem
to be planning on riding with a pillion I'll bring this up.  You can get
givi mounting kits for the VFR, not for the Sprint (well, unless you
order from New Zealand).  Givis are not as elegant as the T luggage, but
they are WAY cheaper, available in more sizes, waterproof, and can be
transferred to your next bike.

> What's the highest mileage ST that's out there? (or RS) What are some
> of the higher mileage ones out there?

There is a list member (Rick Damiani) that has 106k+ miles on his 99 ST.

Like I said, you can't go wrong either way.  You're doing the best test:
ride both and buy whatcha like!

Laters,
Brian
- --