Re: Re[2]: [ST] Thoughts on gearing after first ride

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Keith Winter wrote:

> Here's a question for those that have done this: does a
> chain breaker/riveter leave the removed link undamaged
> enough to be reused, or do I need to locate a replacement
> link?  This chain seems to be in good condition, so I hate
> to just toss it; if I can drop a link or two from it, the
> problem of being too long would be solved.

Hmmm, I used a cutting disc on a Dremel to cut the heads off of two pins
before pushing them out with the chain tool, if I had been more careful
not to touch the side of the link I'm guessing it would have been fine.

I wonder if you could just cut 'em away as planned, and put it back
together with a rivet type master link.  The new DiD tool makes putting
those together a piece of cake, no more stopping to measure the 'shroom,
just crank on it till it's all the way in and presto, two 'factory'
looking rivets even by this rank amatuer.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail