Re: [ST] jump starts

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:18:53PM -0700, Blake Sobiloff wrote:
> On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 08:49  PM, Richard D'Amours wrote:
> > as long as you jump start with the car
> > engine off...you will be ok.
>
> OK, what's up with the "leave the car engine off" advice? I've never
> had to jump-start a motorcycle, but have had the opportunity to
> jump-start a few cars, with my car. I seem to recall that the "donor"
> vehicle was supposed to remain running, the theory being that the
> running vehicle's alternator would ensure that there was enough juice
> supplied to handle the drain of both vehicles (i.e. you don't want to
> kill the donor vehicle's battery, too!).
>
> What makes motorcycles different?

First, a motorcycle starter doesn't need as many cranking amps to turn
over the smaller motor.  This also means that jumping a bike won't risk
draining the car's battery with the engine off.

Second, car alternators put out high amperage.  The ST has a lot at 40A
(IIRC), but cars can put out more than that and fry the bike's
electrics.

Laters,
Brian<--not an EE by any stretch
- --