[ST] for Brian (& Bryce) - GIVIs for ST/RS

 >>> I didn't know anybody in the US had Givi tubular sideracks for
the ST... I've never heard of anyone that had them, just a few who
bought tubular racks from the place in NZ (thunderbikes?) and I
thought those were not givi brand. <<<

    The GIVI brand tubular racks for the RS & ST are a somewhat new
addition to GIVI's line; I've had them on my RS for a few months now
and like them VERY much.  Thunderbike in New Zealand (John Fitzwater)
has - for several years - been making ADAPTERS to attach the old
style GIVI wingracks (and topbox rack) to the ST & RS.  If you have
GIVIs and wingracks left over from another bike, your most sensible
choice is to by Thunderbike's adaptors;... if you don't have
wingracks, I think the GIVI tubular racks may be more to your
liking.  They are lighter, easier to mount and don't present the
visual perception of large malignant growths that the old wingracks
give when the bags are not on the bike.
The wingracks with Thunderbike adaptors are sturdier though, in case
you intend - or not - to throw your bike down the road.

    Either type of wingracks will accept all the GIVI monolock (same
key fits the whole set) bags, which come in sizes from 28 litre
(E28Ns which are the smallest but look best on the RS for everyday
use) through the 36 ltr (which I use for long trips) up to 60 ltr
steamer trunks!  These are the same 28 ltrs bags which were a Triumph
accessory (complete with Triumph badges) on the '93 to '97 T3-900
Sprints and other models.  My '95 Sprint came delivered new with them
and I turned to Thunderbike for adaptors when I traded it in for the
'00 RS.  Most riders find Triumph's ST bags more pleasing to the eye
than GIVIs but in every other respect the GIVIs are superior.  They
are cheaper (MUCH,... the E28Ns are $146 ea.) better made, really
waterproof and have stronger hinges & hardware.  The official GIVI
distributor is:

  http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/Accessories/givi_luggage.htm

    Sorry for such a long post, but I find hard bags the most
important accessory on my bike and the one I most wouldn't want to
ride without.

                                             doggydoo   - - - o&\o