Re: [ST] jump starts

Whoa gang,

I guess it's time for a basic electricity tutorial.

So what if motorcycle starter doesn't draw the same current as a car's
starter?  Brian, you are correct that that it won't likely drain the car's
battery if the car's engine is off, but who cares? ...... we were talking
about potential damage to the motorcycle  ---- can't see it!

Cranking current is delivered by the car battery (an electrical storage
device), not by the alternator.  The reserve current capability of any car
battery FAR exceeds the current delivering capability of that vehicle's
alternator/charging system.  That's why it takes time to re-charge a dead
battery.  A charger simply cannot deliver the amperage required (besides the
battery would overheat).

It is an electrical LOAD, such as the motorcycle starter, that DRAWS current
from the electrical source.  Current is not PUSHED into the load.  The
electrical resistance of the load determines how much current it draws, and
this does not change if the car's motor is running, nor will it change the
current drawn by any other electrical device on the motorcycle.

I thought about the fact that once both vehicles are running (assuming a
successful jump start) there are now TWO regulators involved (connected in
parallel), but I do not believe that this would cause a problem either.
Ultimately it is the voltage at the battery post that determines if the
regulators are going to want to charge the battery and they do this by
raising that voltage, which causes the battery to draw more current.  I
can't see how that charging voltage would hurt 'the other' regulator,
because current only flows OUT of a regulator, not the reverse.

Bottom line -- motorcycles are NOT any different than cars in this regard

Regards,
Neil

PS.  I'm not an EE either, but I have a Diploma in Electronics Technology,
not that it it should be required to understand the basic laws of
electricity