[ST] DVD regions-was NW 200

Jack Hays wrote:

>Hopefully all will go well as even the DVD's have a country code. Why is
>that? But I understand that once you play them the code is changes but
>cannot be changed back to the original. Confusing. Anyone know why?

Supposed to help prevent counterfeiting.  The idea is to prevent people
buying a bunch of counterfeit DVDs in, say , China where they cost about
$1.25 and taking them back to play at home in the US or Europe.  The DVD
contains a fixed region code; there are about 6 regions in the world.  It is
the DVD player or PC DVD drive that has a limit on the number of times it
can change to different regions.  After that, I believe the player or drive
has to go back to the manufacturer to be reset, so it's best to avoid this!

To go totally off ST topics - the first time I visited China, the US had
just declared sanctions against China for pirated copies of software and
films.  China promised to clean up their act, but on the way down the
Yangtze river I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger in "True Lies" - before it was
officially released in the US or Europe!

Scotty Dawg
Lost in China
...but soon to visit Scotland and see if the ST has turned into a pile of
rust in the garage!