Re: [ST] Possible bad Triumph valve design

Mike- IMO, a tight valve will be more likely to burn, not cup.
The burnt valve face and seat are will have a charred look but
with relatively flat contact surfaces; the cupped valve will have
a curved, shiny surface. If the valve face is cupped *and* burnt,
then the loss of valve clearance due to cupping is more likely to
be the cause. I have seen several instances of excessive T-5
valve cupping, even on fairly low-mileage engines which were
apart due to oil consumption issues.

I agree that you should approach Triumph on this issue, though
not having a dealer to advocate on your behalf may put you at a
disadvantage. May I suggest that you retain *all* of the parts,
gaskets etc, in the event they're needed in future discussions
with the factory. It would also be uesful to have an affidavit
from 'the shop' along with suitably-annotated photos including
one of the odometer.

Good luck on this and keep us posted. It may affect us all.
- --
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST