Re: [ST] Valve design

> I echo the sentiment of not ever hearing mention of an inherent design
weakness
> in the Triumph valve train. Usually if there is even a minor manufacturing
> problem that is widespread people run with it and you hear more about it
than it
> is actually worth.

Now you have heard about it. My reason for the news to begin with.

> Is there a particular reason why you aren't equally suspecting bad valves
or
> seats?

Could be soft valves, but this particular mechanic states he has heard about
this problem and weak springs is the word about this problem.

> I know for a fact that my wife's race bike ('89 FZR400) is known for soft
> valves.  The soft valves result in cupping of the valve over time.  It is
> believed by some that this was a calculated move as it is easier to
replace
> valves than other parts of the valve train.

I don't think soft valves is a bad idea if that in fact is what the case is
here .

> Maybe there was a bad batch of valves with a soft heat treat who knows.
Every
> manufacturing process can have it's escapes sometimes they are only felt
in/by
> small pockets (ours).

Again, this could be the problem. I have received two emails privately from
people who have had the same problem, so this is not totally an isolated
problem.

> Out of curiosity, what was the resultant symptom that told you there was a
> problem, Hard starting? Lack of power? or simply 30K since the last
adjustment?

I sold the bike and agreed to have it looked over at a Triumph dealer,
otherwise I had no indication something was wrong. I felt very bad about the
inconvienance I caused the buyer but relieved that we found it before he
took ownership. Now I am pleased I will be keeping the bike. I did notice
the bike becoming a little more difficult starting up, now that you mention
it.

> Best of luck and Document, Document, Document, if there is a problem that
is
> known internally they may help.

Actually, I look forward to putting the bike back together with a better
design valve set up and riding it for many more miles. I purchased a BMW RT
and love it, but I think I would have really missed the ST. I think I will
remove the hard bag mounts and run the bike as close to sport bike trim as
possible. It will be my hooligan bike.
I am not interested in Triumph's help. I prefer to rebuild with better
parts, not put back the same flaw.
Mike