Re: [ST] brake shuddering

On Fri, 16 May 2003 20:23:04 -0400, collett_mc wrote:

>   Anyway, I'm noticing a shuddering under hard braking.  I can't tell if
>it's warping rotors or something else (like brake pads vibrating).  Has
>anyone else had this type of problem?  I've got a 2001 ST w/ 13k miles.  I
>would say I use my bike in a sporting manner (the throttle & brakes get a
>workout when I'm on my favorite roads) but I'm not hard on it.  It certainly
>gets treated better than the sportbikes I've had in the past.
>    Along those lines, has anyone replaced their rotors / pads?  Any
>recommendations?

A brake shudder could be wrapped rotors. It is easy to test, measure the
rotors with a dial indicator and see if they are in spec.
I don't think the shudder can be caused by the pads. But it is possible that
you have a surface contaminate on part of the rotors. Try cleaning the rotors
with spray brake cleaner, or something like that. Of coarse you might as well
check that the pads are not too thin.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA