RE: [ST] brake shuddering

>At 01:43 PM 5/19/03, peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>In my case, they found the steering head was loose and had >too much play, and they tightened it. It seems to have >improved under all but the hardest breaking.

Peter is hitting closer to what's going on. If there was a
problem with the rotors/pads, you should feel it back
through the master cylinder (i.e. the lever).

A common cause of brake shudder is poor suspension setup.
Induced by too little compression damping and/or too much
rebound damping. Uneven pavement in corner entrances along
with poor suspension can induce a "pogo'-ing effect under
hard braking often mistaken for brake problems. A loose
head stem/bearing can also induce an oscillating effect
commonly labeled brake shudder. Check both areas out.

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90
Duc 748
Triumph ST