RE: [ST] Valve design

The valves get a bit on the tight side.  Like I said, they have never gotten
out of spec, but I always set them towards the loose end of the range.  The
12,000 mile service had 6 valves adjusted.  Every other one has had only one
or two valves adjusted.  If I had done no adjustments, some of the valves
may have closed all the way.  That happens to the beemer every once in a
while and then gas mileage, power, everything pretty much sucks.

I really don't know what is wearing specifically.  I can only assume that
everything that makes some kind of contact wears.  The cam lobes, the shims,
the buckets, the valves stems, the seats and the valves.  Mostly the valves
probably.  We're not talking about a lot of movement here, a few hundredths
of a millimeter.  The Beemer on the other hand, is most likely (at this
point) just loosing it's adjustment through the screw and locknut mechanism,
though they generally need valve and seat replacements far sooner than I
expect on the Triumph.

Sorry I didn't reply quicker.  Been working too much this week already.

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
Albuquerque, NM
'99 Triumph Sprint ST