[ST] IIHS is not our friend...

Pass this on to all your motorcycle-related lists.

Our friend Sean moved to Chicago, and sent over a clip from the 4/24
Tribune (only in paid archives on their website); "Attention Deficit:
Distracted drivers prove to be an even bigger threat to motorcyclists", by
Kevin Schweitzer. It's a pretty good article on motorcycle safety and the
impact of distracted drivers. Keith Code is quoted, and the article reads
like whoever wrote it knows how to ride.

But that's not what I'm writing about.

In the article are two quotes from Brian O'Neill, president of the
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an organization with a strong voice
in setting U.S. transportation policy.

First he responds to this quote from Tom Lindsey, of the AMA:

"The remedy is to educate motorists that driving is a serious business and
that other motorists' lives are at stake."

Sounds reasonable? Not to the IIHS. His reply?

"That's absurd. We rarely in our everyday driving encounter motorcycles,"
said O'Neill.

And O'Neill's take on motorcyclists?

"O'Neill of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an agency funded by
insurance companies to research traffic safety, was even more pointed: "Add
two wheels and put on a helmet and seat belts. It's an inherently dangerous
activity, and I think that motorcyclists understand and assume the risks."
i.e. we're fair game.

I'll be sending Mr. O'Neill a love letter today. The IIHS can be contacted
at:

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
1005 N. Glebe Road, Suite 800
Arlington, VA 22201 USA
IIHS tel 703/247-1500
IIHS fax 703/247-1588

http://www.hwysafety.org/default.htm

The Board of the IIHS includes:

Douglas S. Joyce, president, Alfa Virginia Mutual Insurance
Mory Katz, chief executive officer, Response Insurance
Michael LaRocco, president & chief operating officer, SAFECO Personal
Insurance
Don McCubbin, executive vice president, Shelter Insurance
W. Neal Menefee, president, Rockingham Group
Gregory V. Ostergren, chairman, president, and chief executive officer,
American National Property & Casualty Companies
Jonathan Bennett, senior vice president, Personal Lines Division, The
Hartford
Stan Smith, executive vice president, Property/Casualty Operations, Farmers
Insurance Group of Companies.

It'd be great if someone could dig up contact information for each of them
and circulate it as well. If you have a policy with one of them, it might
be nice to mention it in your letter.

Marc D