Re: [ST] dilemma

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:35:38AM -0500, Welsh, Jay (GEAE) wrote:
> A friend of mine has totaled his '00 ST (~28k miles)
>
> He had an incident in the rain with a puddle on the highway, the bike
> went out from under him he separated from it and slid down the highway
> some 400 yards. Luckily he was unharmed, and his gear performed as
> designed!

Sorry to hear about the get-off, but at least he was okay.

> The bike was quite rideable but the insurance company wrote it off.
>
> Now the dilemma........He loves the ST and is faced with the big
> decision.  Go for a '03,  go for a used '01  jump ship to a Futura or
> try a tiger?

I guess it's too late for him to buy it back from the insurance company
and spend a little for bodywork?

> Being equally amorous of the triple I suggested trying a tiger as I
> know a few people who love theirs. The change to the tiger would also
> allow a taste of something different but the same.  It would retain
> the benefits of the triple but in a platform that would be quite
> different.
>
> The individual likes long trips to the northeast, likes sport
> riding/touring comes in at about 6'-1" 220 lbs (guessing)

I considered a Tigger (and test rode one), but the main thing that
turned me off was the buffeting at hwy (75mph+ speeds).  Some people
have found solutions for that, some haven't.  I didn't want it to be an
issue on a long trip, or have to try experimenting with lots of
different screens trying to find something that works for me.  (More
expensive solution, get a BMW GS with an Aeroflow shield).

> I am querying the group to see, given the need to walk away from their
> current ST
>
> What would you do?

If he's comfy with the ST and knows he will ride another one for a long
time, I'd tell him to go with a used one, as the depreciation on them is
so extreme.

If he's ever thought that maybe he'd like to try another bike, now is
the time.  His insurance payoff was likely for more $ than he could have
sold his '00 for (I know it sure was on my 99).  Take the money and run!

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX
'97 VFR 750 <--worth $4985 according to MCN
'99 Sprint ST <--would be worth $4970