Re: [ST] Can + Tune

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 16:43, Stephen McSpadden wrote:
> It goes against the grain, I like stealthy bikes, but I've never had a
> "noisier" can so ... I've managed to pick up a Triumph carbon can for my ST
> from eBay. It's in excellent condition too. However, my nearest dealer is
> 35-40 miles away. If I fit the can and ride the bike to him, am I likely to
> do lasting damage? Is it any real risk or am I just paranoid?

Yes indeed. It will run a bit week at the top end so just take it a bit
steady.I did exactly the same thing a you. My dealer is 50 miles away. I
fitted the can, telephoned the dealer up, and asked him to book me in
for a tune. 50 miles and 1/2 hour later It was done. Very cheap as well.

> The bike is the 2002 model with the CO or O2 sensor (or whatever it is) in
> the headers, so I was hoping it would self-adjust the fueling to a "safe"
> degree.

That's the lambda sensor IIRC. IIRC it is used to lean off the mixture
on constant throttle.

> Or do I just buy a Tune-boy and be done with it? ;-)

It should cost you no more than 25.00 GPB / 40 dollars to have it done.

I could not be bothered with the expense of the Tune-boy.

> Thanks in advance for any guidance.
>
> Stephen (Spud) McS.
>
> PS Just how noisy can I expect this to be ....?

Not too bad. nosier at the 2-3k range by quite a bit. The standard can
is very quiet though.