[ST] Near miss Friday - Brake question

To all,
    Had a near near miss Friday.  Really darn close.  My wife and I were
riding (I wasn't even riding that fast) down US 64 east of Hendersonville NC
(towards Lake Lure, if anyone knows).  It was in a more twisty part, and I
came out of a right hander and ahead was one of those ubiquitous apple
stands on the right.  Before I knew it grandpa is pulling out of the gravel
parking lot...  but KEEPS PULLING OUT!  MY wife and I both let out a yell
(we've got intercoms) and I steer into the other lane and grab full brakes.
Thank God the guy saw us and stopped - otherwise I would have rammed right
into him.  We're very thankful to be alive.
    My brake question is this - I've got that problem with the Sprint mushy
front brakes.  You know what I'm talking about - no amount of bleeding seems
to solve it.  The lever firms up with use but then flabs out if you don't
use it for awhile (i.e. cruising down the road like we were).  I used to
deal with it, but now I have had it.  Many questions run through my mind...
what if he had kept coming?  I really didn't have full on brakes even though
I was yanking on the lever.  We could have been pancakes.  I know this topic
has floated around (master cylinder replace, etc. etc.) but has there been a
general consensus?

Happy to be emailing you,

Proverbs 3:5,6