[ST] Hard Stsrting

Hey Everyone,
    My baby has always been rather difficult to start. When I fire her up in
the morning, or even after riding; sometimes it will crank for several
seconds. I have tried every different combination of scenarios and nothing
has been different; key on, hit button ASAP; key on, let fuel pump finish
priming, hit button; key on, let engine crank for several seconds; key on,
let crank for on a second or so at a time; key on, no throttle and all
above; key on, some throttle and all above. It just seems to be a hard
starting engine. Is this normal? I don't think this is a "Triumph" thing, as
I've ridden my buddy's T-Bird and it fires on the first couple of rotations,
most of the four cylinder bikes fire on the first couple of rotations. Is
this a fuel injection thing? I know my buddy's T-Bird is carbureted. Would a
Daytona starter spin it up quicker?? Any thoughts?? TIA!!
JohnnyO
'01 Sapphire Blue ST
Mesa, AZ (mid 70's this weekend)