Re: [ST] Short results and some chilling facts

Hello,

At 07:29 15/11/2003, you wrote:

>And finally, heated grips vs. gloves:  I tend to lean towards heated
>gloves, as it is usually the outside of my hand that gets cold, but I
>would like to hear the pros and cons of both.

It depends on the temperatures you are riding in, and the length of time
you normally ride for, as well as a convenience aspect.  The heated grips
are really good for an always available solution, eg I went for a blast
through to Edinburgh (about 50 miles from here) last October.  Probably
about 12-14C (55F ish) when I left, but I stayed really late.  By 10pm it
was about 3C (36F?) for the drive home.  I flipped on the heated grips as I
was warming up the ST, and was pretty comfortable the whole way home.  That
was 80-100mph riding more or less constantly.  My fingers were a bit cold,
but definitely not at any level of extreme discomfort.  On my old Yamaha I
did the same thing a few years ago, and had to stop at the services for
gritty hot chocolate to warm myself up half way home, and I was still
miserably uncomfortable minutes later.

As I said in a post before, with very good insulating gloves, the grips
don't really get through to your hands, but nor does the cold.  The actual
overall effect is better with my tatty old gloves (nearly waterproof,
nearly warm) as the heat gets through much more effectively.  As you said,
the backs of your fingers get more cold, but the insides of your fingers
and palm get much warmer.

The convenience of the "switch on and warm" aspect of the grips is great,
and even on a day where I don't really need it, I sometimes give the grips
a quick heat up just for the extra comfort warm hands give.  I doubt VERY
much that I would have heated gloves on in those circumstances.

So for someone who doesn't usually do a lot of long distance cold weather
riding (The Sprint's a big toy for me, really, as I walk/cycle to work most
of the time), the grips suit me very well, but if I was commuting for 20
minutes+ a day in all weathers, I would definitely look at gloves.

Hope this help!

Andrew