Re: [ST] Help: Sprint won't start

On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 06:18  PM, Kurt Windisch wrote:

> Now, at
> long last, I'm ready to go for a ride today and the
> bike wont start.

Gosh, I hate to be contrarian to all the gloom and doom responses, but
I experience the same trouble when I let my bike ('00 ST) sit for
longer periods of time (say, 3-4 weeks).  Of course, I try not to let
this happen, but sometimes it can't be helped.  The usual scenario is
that the bike will sit for at least a couple of weeks before I realize
that I should put some fuel stabilizer in it and hook it up to a
trickle charger.  Since I don't have an alarm on the bike, the charger
usually doesn't have to do any work, but I figure it isn't going to
hurt.  After I get a green light from the charger, I remove the charger
leads, add the stabilizer and try to start the bike.

I'll usually get a quick ignition on one or two cylinders, followed by
a quick death and a return to the engine turning over by the starter
only.  From there, it'll take a good five minutes of intermittent
cranking to get another cylinder to fire.  I usually turn off the key
in between starting attempts, and I listen for the engine management
computer's power relay to click off before turning the ignition on
again. Once I hear a cylinder fire, then I know I can crank with the
throttle open just a hair and get the engine going.

IMHO, I think my bike forgets the proper throttle position sensor
reading and doesn't give the bike enough gas to start and run.  Whether
this is from charging the battery, causing some ECU glitch, or a flakey
throttle position sensor, or something else, I don't know.  I don't
really worry about it.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.