Re: [ST] Front Wheel Removal

Hello, Garry Simmons,

The tool was in my kit, loks like the spark plug tool.
It also rounded off like taffy when I tried to remove the axel.
Why can't Triumph put a spot of anti-seize on normaly serviced fastners?

What I did was go to my local hdw. store and get a sleeve nut, I think it was 12mm.
This is also called a coupling nut.  I also picked up an allen bolt that was threaded as long as the sleeve nut.
The allen bolt was to reinforce the sleeve nut so I would'nt rip it apart when I removed the axle.
Said axel torqued to around 3 million Nm by the factory.
No kidding! With a 4' pipe on the 1/2" drive breaker bar and my brother holding the bike and the front brakes I thought the forks would bend before the axel FINALY started turning.
And yes, the pinch bolts were loose enough to turn with my fingers.

I am pleased to say the threads stayed in the fork instead of turning out with the axel.
After this the tire change went smooth as silk.

Continental Conti-Force tires get my approval, good in the wet, steady as a brick where the State is replacing the road surface and has ground up the old asphalt.

Sorry for the Rant, I do like the bike a LOT.

My $.03

Todd

>Stupid question time... My RS needs new rubber all around. What size/kind of
>tool do you use to unthread the front axle once you loosen the bolts at the
>bottom of the forks? The brain-dead factory service manual can't be bothered
>to mention bolt sizes or required tools (in enough detail to buy them).
>Sigh...
>
> It appears to be a 3/4" (19mm?) allen key or something. So what do I need
>to buy on my next trip to the hardware store? You'd think Triumph would at
>least provide the tools required to get the wheels off the bike in the tool
>kit.
>
>Garry

Best regards.
Centaurious