[ST] Re: Bringing Bikes to Japan

At 09:55 AM 11/27/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>From: Stephen McSpadden <stephen.mcspadden@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ST] Bringing Bikes to Japan
>
>At 14:46 27/11/03, you wrote:
> >Anyone have any experience bringing a motorcycle to Japan for touring?
>
>I do know that the official, annual motorcycle checks performed in Japan
>are very, very strict and very, very expensive. ...If you are going to be
>working there for an extended stay and registering the bike there, it
>might be pretty tough. If you are just taking the bike over for a
>"holiday", the rules might be very different compared to if you are
>"living" there. Your Visa might then dictate how your bike is treated.

It's not just a question of how your bike is treated.  If you are working,
then you will not be able to use an International Drivers license.  You'll
have to get a Japanese license, and you're going to be in for a shock when
you try to get a license for an unlimited class bike (i.e., 750+).

The test is extremely difficult.  I've an Australian friend who is trying
now, and has taken the test multiple times without success (getting the
<400 license is much easier).  One of the problems is that you have to take
the test on THEIR bikes, and he's having trouble getting used to the bikes
that the police people provide, which is different from his bike back home.

There's a great emphasis upon low speed skills.  My friend is having
trouble riding down a wooden board, at walking speeds, without letting the
front wheel drop off the board.

Paul

1961 Norton Dommie 99 cafe
Unfortunately, I'm in Hong Kong, and my bike is in the US  :-(

End of st-digest V2002 #1370