Re: [ST] Giving your kids rides

Last year my boys were 9 and 11.  I decided it was time I could buy
another bike and they were big enough to go.  In this case, Size
Matters, but maturity does, too.  The older one is almost as big as my
wife, so he can wear her motorcycle helmet and jacket.  They need some
sort of protective gear, tough jeans at least and heavy shoes.  The
first rides should be short and out of traffic, say to Baskin-Robins.
Coach her on how to behave (don't fight/help the lean, no feet on the
ground until you say so, etc.).

Unless she is a big, risk-loving 6-year-old, I'd say she is not ready
for much riding, if any.  If she's asking, take her for a short for ice
cream or to Toys-R-Us and see what happens.

Eric Mann wrote:

>As a "new" dad (wife had a kid from a previous marriage), I am wondering at
>what age it is OK for the kids to ride on the bike with you?  If you have
>kids and they ride with you, at what age did you start that?
>
>The daughter is 6 years old right now.  Just wondering if that is too young
>or not.

- --
John Albright
'02 RS