RE: [ST] Oil Curiosity, Hopefully not an Oil Thread

Just putting together your pieces of information, the Triumph blend Mobil 1
is 15w-50, which is not in total contradiction with your service manual
(haven't checked mine personally yet).  The service manual says do not use
10w oils with a hot viscosity rating greater than 40, and the Triumph blends
concurs with that as it is a 15w oil - not a 10w oil.

To put it more succinctly, 15w-50 is not "a 10w oil with a hot viscosity
greater than 40" because it is not a 10w oil to start with.

Hope that sheds some light.  I'll be doing a little looking into it myself.

I'm not putting any opinion as to what is better/the best choice of oil -
I'm just trying to sort out any disagreement between the service manual,
owner manual, and the spec of the Triumph blend Mobil 1 oil.

Matt
'01 BRG Sprint ST

<snip>
My Service Manual states "Triumph high performance fuel injected engines
must be filled with 10W-40 or 15W-40 semi or fully synthetic motorcycle
engine oil which meets API SG or API SH AND JASO MA specifications ."   It
has a caution box  that states "Do not use 10W rated oils with a hot
viscosity rating greater than 40."  It specifically states, do not use
10W-50 and goes on to state "Do not use oils with a cold viscosity rating of
0W or 5W."  It does go on to say that the Triumph blend Mobil 1 4T Racing
meets or exceeds all their specs.

<snip>

Mobil 1 for Triumph is a SAE 15W-50 grade product, based on Mobil's European
Mobil 1. This product was fully tested by Triumph in-house and therefore is
fully approved and recommended as the preferred product for Triumph
motorcycles.

<snip>