[ST] Fuel quick disconnect redux

While on a group ride Wednesday evening I kept on smelling gasoline,
but when we'd stop for a break I couldn't see any obvious wetness
around the fuel hoses. However, on Thursday when I did some more
looking I found some washes of dust that highlighted the path the fuel
was taking along the frame.

I pulled off the rear bodywork, turned the ignition on and, sure
enough, saw some fuel welling up past the crimp clamp around the elbow
QD that lies between the tank and the fuel rail. I chuckled to myself
as I recalled how I purchased a metal replacement QD a couple of months
ago when the topic of quick disconnect leaks came up on the liST.

I removed the crimp clamp and plastic elbow QD and examined it for
cracks. I couldn't see any, and the o-ring was in good condition, so it
looks like the fuel hose itself had compressed enough over time (and
34K miles) that the crimp clamp wasn't supplying enough pressure
anymore to completely seal the QD. Oh well, it was still a good
opportunity to install the metal QD and use a worm-drive hose clamp.

I compared the plastic with the metal version. Doh! The plastic one was
3/8" diameter, while the metal QD I had was for 1/4" hose. So, hop in
the truck and run up to my dealer, where I'd purchased the metal
connector. Fortunately, they had a 3/8" metal QD in stock. While
chatting with the counter folks, they commented that they hadn't been
able to find a rhyme or reason why some bikes used 3/8" while others
used 1/4". They found variations even within the same model and year,
so were advising everyone to remove and measure the old QDs first (or
buy one in each size).

Installation, as the manuals say, was the reverse of removal. I put a
thin coat of Sil-Glyde on the o-ring before reconnecting the QDs; this
seems to help keep the o-rings from getting nicked. I fired up the bike
and, voila, no leak!
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.
San Jose, CA  (USA)
*** TSRA Western Rallye in New Mexico: Sept. 19th and 20th ***