[ST] Strange effect at top speed

I think I found the top end on my bike this past weekend.  Now that I've
been there, I need to back off I suppose.  Thinking about the 17T change to
help me keep it down.

Something interesting happened at top end.  When I got there the rev limiter
hit the wall and made the bike almost seem like it backfired.  This has
happened before but at about 3mph slower speed.  I was in 5th, I believe.  I
know what the rev limiter is supposed to feel like at sane speeds, as I've
hit it a number of times in various gears, but this thing happening at top
speed is strange.  No ill effects, just like something said "back off 10 mph
or 1,000 rpms").  I did not have another stretch of road to do it in and had
had enough anyway.

Any ideas?
James '02 ST