[ST] Bag eating ST or One Dumb Rider!

I know this happened to someone else on the list, but I didn't check to see
who.

While on my way down the Autobahn (er, Interstate) with my gym bay strapped
to the hard bag handles and rear seat bar (can't remember proper name), I
did a boner.  As I look back, I see that the way I tied my gym bag made for
a good hinge if things decided to go wrong, which they did!  I was doing a
pretty good clip (somewhere North of ---, oh, let's just not say) when all
of a sudden the bike started slowing.  I twisted the throttle a few times,
to no avail.  I move to the un-hunched position and try twisting the
throttle a few more times.  Nothing there.  Weird.  Can't hear the motor
either (am stuffed with earplugs).

Then it really started slowing.  So I head for the shoulder.  The rear tire
starts smoking, and I think I've blew a tire but there was no bumpiness to
the ride--just kind of normal other than the immediate slowing down like my
brakes were on and the somewhat strange handling.

I thought maybe I had blown the rear tire, so I pulled on the front brakes
smoothly to slow down a little quicker and pulled across both lanes to the
shoulder.  As soon as I stopped the whole bike erupted into smoke just like
I was doing one heck of a burnout.  I jump off, look down and wonder "What
the hey?"  I'm thinking the bike is on fire.

I look back up the interstate and see a nice black line running 50-75 yards
or so from the fast lane to the ground right at my rear tire.  I then notice
the bag that had been sitting comfortably behind my tush has disappeared.
Sure enough.  I look under the seat and there was everything stuffed into
the space between the rear hugger and tire, and tire and seat.  Back on the
Interstate was a string of clothes that had been chewed up and spit out.  I
ran to get them dodging semis and cars.  Never found my flip flops (shower
togs those who don't know what flip flops are).

A biker in a cage stopped to help me push the bike backwards to make the
rear-end disgorge its contents.  Just about everything was trashed except my
Bible (only had a little ding :) and electric shaver.  When I say trashed,
it's like someone did burnouts on every thing I had in the bag.  Shampoo was
everywhere,  Pieces and parts of clothes also everywhere.  Lots and lots of
charcoal-ed stuff.  Wow!  Let's not try that again.

Some call it "luck," some call it "Providence."  I say thank you, Lord.

Thankful to be alive (again:),
James '02 ST

PS. Hmmm.  I will admit to wondering if it was a sign to slow down.