RE: [ST] Closing Triumph Dealers/Parts

(Dan wrote, in reply to Tony)

>I guess we come from two different dealer cultures.  I never doubted you
>dedication to your Sprint, you were very clear on that in your first post.
>I have never had the ability to just go down to my dealer and expect him to
>have any but the most basic of parts in stock.

Dan, I have to go with you on this.  No offense Tony, cause I understand
your position as well, and agree for the most part.

But I think Dan makes the most relevant point here.  How many dealers of
~any~ brand is likely to have some obscure part you may need on the road??
(1000 to 1).  On the other hand, how many dealers will have a generic part
for ~any~ motorcycle when in need? (i.e. brake pads, tires, cables, light
bulbs, etc....)  these generic parts are what is most likely to fail, not
your freakin cam chain, or valve spring.  And if one of those DO fail, you
are phukked no matter where you are.

Let me ask this question.  Do you (as a group), get into your generic Ford
or Chevy family sedan for a cross country trip and ponder the likelihood of
catastrophic failure?  Do you plot all the Chevy dealerships and call ahead
to make sure they have cam chain tensioners in stock "just in case"????

Jeez, get a grip people.  If you are that anal about "support" sell the
bike.  This is an adventure not paint by numbers kit.

FWIW, I've ridden over a 1/2 million miles, mostly LD, over the years.  I've
ridden many "not so dependable" bikes, and I have only been truly ~stranded~
once, i.e. had to call a tow truck.

duncan
dallas
TEJAS