Re: [ST] Closing Triumph Dealers/Parts

Good point about the monster socket!  I'm planning for a cross country trip
next spring and the advice I've been given is to carry a 46mm socket with
me at all times (which I now carry).  I should also add that while
discussing the trip with my local Triumph mechanic I asked what spare parts
he thought I should carry for the trip.  He said he'd probably carry a few
spare fuses and bulbs, but other than that, Sprints have very few
mechanical problems.  He didn't think it was worthwhile to carry spare
clutch and brake cables.  It's interesting but I found that no one (dealer
or auto parts stores) seems to carry the 40 amp main fuse.  My dealer was
surprised that he didn't have one, but now has several on order (2 for me).

I tend to be a worse case planner (former helicopter pilot) and will carry
tools and prep my bike well prior to departure.  But the reality is with
cell phones, a good dealer relationship,  and over night shipping a
breakdown will probably only delay you a day or two at most.  I wouldn't
look forward to that, but I can live with the odds.  I also wouldn't
discount the assistance members of this group (or AMA, HSTA, etc.) can
give.  I think a call for help using the internet (available in most public
libraries) and leaving a phone number for call-back would receive many
little things, I'm constantly amazed at what a good bunch of guys
constitute this group of riders.

In case you haven't noticed, the Triumph website has a listing of all their
dealers by state/city with phone numbers.  I converted the list to a pdf
document and spreadsheet and carry it in my pda.   I think a little
pre-planning goes a long way.
Craig

At 08:49 AM 9/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 08:17:31PM -0500, Steve Duncan wrote:
> > But I think Dan makes the most relevant point here.  How many dealers of
> > ~any~ brand is likely to have some obscure part you may need on the road??
> > (1000 to 1).  On the other hand, how many dealers will have a generic part
> > for ~any~ motorcycle when in need? (i.e. brake pads, tires, cables, light
> > bulbs, etc....)  these generic parts are what is most likely to fail, not
> > your freakin cam chain, or valve spring.  And if one of those DO fail, you
> > are phukked no matter where you are.
>
>Of greater concern to ya'll should be whether or not generic bike dealer
>has a monster socket to change the rear wheel.  Also, I doubt the clutch
>cable is a generic one, though I'm sure in a pinch you could rig
>something up.
>
>Laters,
>Brian
>--