[ST] Iron Butt Requirements/Trip Summary

I just got back from my first real bike trip and want to know if I qualify
as an Iron Butt.

First of all, though, let me say that now I *understand* what everyone keeps
writing about after they go on rides and trips on good roads.  I didn't
before because this is my first bike and so far I've pretty much been
commuting to and from work in Houston which is very flat and fairly boring.
However, on my trip to Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower, I have to say that I
thought the roads in that area were spectacular!  Almost without exception,
every single highway I was on seemed brand new, clean, and free from any
holes, cracks, etc.  Not to mention that they were all hilly, curvy, and
almost completely deserted (since there are only 400,000 people in all of
Wyoming, you should be able to get an idea of how truly people-free the
place is).

If you've been there you know what I'm talking about, if you think you might
want to go, I strongly recommend it.  Devil's Tower was especially cool both
as a destination and a trip.  The location is about 23 miles off I-90 in WY
and it was THE best ride of the trip!  23 miles of hills and curves, most of
which had great visibility, on a wide smooth road.  I probably saw a total
of 10 - 15 cars, if that many, on the way in and the same on the way out and
the view throughout was killer.  The tower itself is pretty awesome - it's
about 1.25 miles around at the base and about 700 or so feet high sitting
right out in the middle of nowhere - formed by underground volcanic action
and exposed by erosion.  I thought Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse
monuments were cool but Devil's Tower is more awe inspiring.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that - maybe it will inspire someone else to
take a trip.

Three quick items of note before I stop writing:
1.  Unincorporated on a town signpost means, among other things, we don't
have a gas station - ask me how I know.  : (
2.  On the way into Dallas, on 35E (4-5 lanes of traffic) a car from the
next lane over hydroplaned and spun around tail end first 270 degrees right
in front of me and ended up perpindicular to the highway blocking her lane
and mine.   Luckily I was on the inside lane, saw that the shoulder was
clear and hit it and the brakes in time.  Interestingly enough, the incident
did not cause me any real anxiety at all.  Wierd.
3.  Quote of the trip:  In Colby, KS (a nearly unincorporated town - see #1
above) there was an older guy running the gas  station who asked me how fast
I was riding.  I told him about 80mph.  He said that another guy had been in
recently who had a bike that looked like mine and said he was doing 100mph
and was on a trip from Portland to somewhere on the east coast.  Then, in
all seriousness, the old guy said, "Seems like, if it were me, I'd just
start out 20 minutes earlier."

Chris
'01 ST

P.S.  I did 2900 miles in 5 days and the last day (yesterday) was 742 miles
in 12.5 hours, most of which was in the rain.