Re: [ST] Front Tire Cupping

Garry,

I've battled cupping on my Sprint RS and other machines.  It's not clear
to me from your message if you're sure the tire is cupping (or whether
it's just the left side of the tire), but I have never seen it on only one
side of the tire.

The noise and vibration would concern me, enough that I'd be checking the
brake caliper and wheel bearing.  A lost wheel weight would exhibit
different symptoms, I believe.

Front BT-020 on my RS was cupped and worn enough at 5K mi. for
replacement.  BT-010, although a better performer, wore and cupped the
same.

Replacement with an Avon Azaro ST AV-45 ended the cupping, it sticks
better, and is lasting longer.

Mike

- --- garrysimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Seems I'm full of questions these days. Here is today's query...
>
> I've noticed a little noise and slight vibration in the bars when
> turning to the left. It's a relatively recent change. I've confirmed
> nothing is rubbing. After a bit of Googling, I'm guessing my front tire
> is cupped (6500+ miles, BT-020). Doesn't happen to the right (not yet
> anyway), but the theory is that we wear out the left side of tires
> faster than the right because left turns are larger radius (more
> distance) than right ones (in the US).
>
> Question: There seems to be plenty of tread life left on the front, so
> how big an issue traction/safety-wise is cupping? Ride it till the tread
> is shot? Replace it ASAP? Somewhere in the middle?
>
> Garry

> *   *

End of st-digest V2002 #1226