RE: [ST] Running In

Neil,

The running in oil should be changed as recommended as it is designed to
quickly seat the rings and other moving/meshing parts in the engine and you
don't want to overdo it.  You do not need to use more running in oil and
should change to the factory recommended weight (15-50 it was in '99) oil.
Whether you go dino, semi, or full synthetic is largely up to you, though I
believe Triumph is still recommending going directly to the Mobil One full
synthetic.

I don't think that after the first oil change, it really matters whether you
go dino, semi, or full.  I think it is more important to religiously follow
an oil and filter change regimen.  Also, with the Triumphs, going to the
full synthetic does loosen up the gear box and damps some of the minor
vibrations.  Using full synthetic does extend your oil change mileage over
dino oil.

I changed out the running in oil at 600 miles, went to dino oil and changed
at 3000 miles and at 6000 miles went to full synthetic.  It worked for me.
Others have done other things and it has worked for them too.

Have fun with your new bike!

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
Albuquerque, NM
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'74 BMW R90/6

I am in the midst of breaking in my new RS.  The break-in schedule calls for
an oil/filter change at 500 mi. (800 km.)  I understand that many of you
have extended the interval to about 1000 mi. (or more ?) before switching to
semi- or full-synthetic oil.  Does this mean that you refresh the oil (and
filter) at 500 mi. with MORE running in oil, or do you switch to 10W-40 DINO
oil for the next 500 mi., and then go to semi- or full-synthetic?  I plan to
do these oil changes myself.

And is Triumph OK with such deviation from the factory recommendation?

TIA
Neil