[ST] head bearing gone at 6000 miles

The head bearings have gone on my 2001 ST. The bike has done just 6500
miles and is 2yrs & 2months old. In hindsight, I realise that the first
sign of the bearing failing was about 4 months ago (5500 miles) when I
felt the steering snatch. This happened only once and I didn't even
consider that the head bearing could be failing - I put it down to the
clutch cable snagging as it slides through its wire guide.

My dealer made an application to Triumph for the repair to be done under
warranty. Triumph have refused to cover it because the bike is 2 months
outside warranty and the head bearing is a 'wear & tear' item.

I feel a little hard done by here, as although the bearing is not
expected to last forever I do expect a life of more than 6000 miles. In
fact, the Triumph service schedule does not require the head bearing to
be lubricated or inspected until the 12000 mile service, so Triumph
obviously expect them to last for a very minimum of 12000 miles.

I use the bike daily to commute to work, the roads are good and free
from potholes. The only reason I can see for the premature failure is
either that the bearing was flawed in some way from new, or it was
incorrectly adjusted when I took delivery of the bike.

Before I write a letter to Triumph, I first wanted to ask everyone's views:

Has anyone else had a head bearing go - especially at low mileage?

Is 6000 miles a reasonable life for a head bearing?

Am I right to feel let down by Triumph?

Cheers,
Chris

'01 Sprint ST, BRG