RE:[ST] Ethanol

<<
Hi Guys,

There is some debate out here about Ethanol.  The government wants to make a
mandatory 10% Ethanol/Petrol mix.  There are as many experts popping up as
there
opinions on the subject.  Some vehicle manufacturers are saying it's okay,
others
are saying it corrodes fuel lines and melts fibreglass tanks etc.  I hear
you
guys have had ethanol over there for some time, has anyone any real life
experience
on whether it is harmful to motors, in particular my beloved Sprint?

Cheers,
Mick.

Sorry I'm alittle late on answering this.  I know if your running CV carbs
you had better have the alcohol(Ethanol) resistant diaphrams in them.  Or
they will weaken and tear, not quickly, but they will fail.  We found out
that BMW used non-resistant diaphrams in their carbs well into the 80's.
Fourtunatly they are available thru aftermarket, and I think BMW, but be
sitting down for the price.  There may be a few more rubber/plastic items in
fuel systems affected in similar ways, but I can't list them.  Other than
that the only thing I can think of is my father stating that alcohol has a
lower flash point than petrol, so technically the motor may run a touch
cooler.  But that's from memory.  Having grown up in Iowa(a large corn
producer here in the States) our midgrades were always bolstered with 10%
Ethanol, but the same price as base grade, to encourage use and therfore
support of the farmers.  Never really noticed a difference between base and
mid, but hey a couple of points of octane couldn't hurt.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen