[ST] valve rattle?

I am at a loss as to why I have just picked up what sounds like valve lash rattle.
Yesterday after about 80 mile ride home I noticed a rattle I did not pay it much attention.
Today I go for a short ride no rattle until about 15 miles I figure it is well warmed up by now.
I take it easy on the way home it is all down hill. I get home and see the oil level is at the bottom mark I add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of oil but the rattle remains. I also notice that a rapid
throttle tends to cause the motor to stumble a bit and I also get a random backfire...
The ST has 14760 on the od and the valves were adjusted at 13k. I would not think the valves would need adjustment again? I have only hit red line once and I don't abuse it. Anyone have any thoughts on why?

- --
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers