[ST] No More Group Rides for Me

I don't plan to go on another Group ride anytime soon. Not after this last
one...

A Sacramento-based group of Triumph riders
http://www22.brinkster.com/norcalrat/index.htm
like to get together once a month and ride.  Last Saturday's ride took place
east of the Napa Valley and northwest of Sacramento.  The Bay Area RAT pack
also joined us this day.  Nineteen of us met at "the Corners", a popular
gathering spot in order to form up for the ride up Knoxville- Berryessa
Road:  http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/BerryessaKnoxville.htm

Mid afternoon, I was leading the "fast" group of eleven bikes when the
unimaginable occurred.  My designated sweep rider Sam (on his wife's Norton
850 Commando) decides that he is going to pass the group for some reason.
As he goes by my left side, I see that he's dragging a lunchbox-size nylon
cooler from a bungee cord.  Then, just as he pulls in front, the bag gives
up it's contents right in my path.

Now, I was expecting to see a sandwich, an apple or something like that.
Instead, I see shiny silver objects flying in the air and I had to duck
behind my Zero Gravity Sport Touring windshield for protection.  My bike
took several direct hits...from the Norton's assortment of tools!  I rode
into a debris path of Whitworth wrenches and screw drivers.  The oil
radiator started spewing on the ST's hot engine , causing mucho gray smoke.
That was my first clue that my day of riding was over.  I stopped as quickly
is could with nine bikes in trail.  Oil was everywhere.  The front tire and
brakes were covered.  The back tire is also completely soaked in oil.  I am
amazed that I got it stopped upright.

Maya, the leader of the Bay Area RAT Pack, retrieved Sam from up ahead.  He
didn't even know what he had done.  However, later, he did see me and the ST
home that night by asking his wife pick us up with a trailer.

Tuesday the ST goes into the shop for repairs. You can see some pictures and
read the ride report here:
 http://www22.brinkster.com/norcalrat/AprRide/RideReport_04-03-2004.htm

Damn I hate group rides...

George Cope
Roseville, CA
'99 Sprint ST Midnight (in need of a transfusion)