Re: Re[2]: [ST] New model developments

Bill,
> Ah, gotcha - it's one of the automobile oils that had a pre-"Energy
> Conserving" additive package...but still a mystery as to what's in those
> friction modifiers!

Maybe this still needs some clarification.  Mobil 1 comes in the following
viscosities with color coded caps:
0W-20 - Graphite (gray)
0W-30 - Silver
0W-40 - Black
5W-30 - Blue
10W-30 - Green
15W-50 - Red

(this comes straight from Mobil's web site so if there is a new one on the
street with a sky blue pink top it's their bad)

The "red cap" is not EC, not energy conserving and does not have the
friction modifiers that make it EC or energy conserving.  It is also NOT
JASO MA rated so it does not meet Triumph's specs, maybe.  It is not in
Mobil's best interest to JASO rate "red cap" because it would be a lower
price competitor for MX4T and V-Twin.  Now if you really want to do some
research on this stuff you might come to the conclusions that I have.
First, higher reving sport bikes usually recommend 10W40.  Slower V-Twins
recommend something thicker like a 20W50 or 15w50.  Second, the wider the
range from cold to hot, the faster the oil breaks down to a lower grade.
For instance after a 1000 miles a 15w50 may only be equal to a 15w40 and a
10w40 will still be close to 10w40 - these are examples not factual data,
but close.  Third, if you sell slow reving twins and higher reving triples,
plus you want to make money selling your own brand of oil,  15w50 is a
compromise.  Last but not least, if you believe that Triumph 4T Racing will
make your bike last longer, protect it from aliens, natural and man made
disasters, give it more horsepower and gas mileage or above all else make
you feel good, use it.

Rod