RE: [ST] Chains

Pushing anything far enough past it's design wear limits can lead to bad
problems.  These chains are strong and may last a long time past those
limits, however, it a chain happens to break, it could lock up the rear
wheel causing you to loose control of the motorcycle and crash.  Not a good
thing.  The chain could also wrap around the transmission countershaft and
cause some damage there.

As the chain wears it stretches.  It doesn't necessarily stretch evenly and
this causes a surging feeling as time goes on.  If this surging gets bad
enough, the ride quality definitely starts to suffer and it might cause
faster wear on some drive train parts.

To tell if your chain is shot, try to pull the chain off the rear sprocket
(pull straight out).  A new chain will not pull of the sprocket and a worn
chain will pull off significantly.  You can also measure say 10 links, turn
the wheel and measure another 10 links, etc and compare the measurements.
It there is a significant difference, your chain is worn.

I recommend changing you sprockets with your chain.  They wear too and worn
sprockets will wear out the new chain faster.

Dan.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, New Mexico
www.danwallander.com