RE: [ST] Driving Lights

As far as I know, I'm the only Triumph rider who ran a real HID burner
on my ST.  I have replaced the right (starboard) 100 watt PIAA bulb with
a 10,000K purple HID unit from Lighting Research in Boca Raton.

This unit requires an external ballast (transformer) which I mounted to
the side fairing, internally, just behind the joint where it meets the
headlight fairing.  It also requires a fused, external power supply and
that the plug, normally mated to the bulb, be wired to the ballast which
is directly connected to the burner.  Install took about 1.25 hours.
Having done it, I could probably do another in 25 minutes.

This light is to ordinary Halogen bulbs as they are to candles.  As a
matter of fact a fellow RotLE member, Bob Barton, said, "Andy, it looks
like you have your lights on and everyone else is holding up a match."
Wattage is about 60% of an ordinary 55/60 halogen and heat is basically
negligible.

Cost? Well, I only have one on the bike and we (were) dealers for this
item, so I paid wholesale.  We offered them to members for $295 each or
$550 the pair, in the H4 style.  No takers.  Retail was $799 for two.

Notice the use of the past tense.  The NTHSA has forced a recall of
these items. They require that all HID retro-fit kits feature an auto
leveling device to keep the light aimed when its attitude is changed.
Since this feature is not available for mc's, or even cages, they are
all being pulled.  I do not know how this affects HID driving lamps,
i.e., those whose mount externally rather than in the factory headlamps.

In my opinion, these burners were worth every penny.  They lit up
retro-reflective road signs better in the DAYTIME than most lights do at
night.  I have NEVER had a driver flash me unless the high beam was
activated.

Ah, well, sic transit gloria and all that.  Brings to mind that
quotation, "Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

We still sell PIAA (and other) bulbs at a big discount.  Try
www.lightingresearch.com for part numbers and then order from us for the
discount.

Now, wasn't that more interesting than HTML, whatever the #*^& that is?

Andrew F. Kay, Jr.
Riders of the Lost Empire, LC,  13355 79th Street, Fellsmere, FL 32948
www.lostempire.com   andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On reflecting that he had done nothing to help anyone all that day, the
Emperor Titus ( A.D. 39-81) uttered these praiseworthy words: "Friends,
I have lost a day."

http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net    email virus protected