[ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #196

>Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:10:55 -0400
>From: "CAPT Howard S. Serlick USNR" <serlick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ST] When a chain is shot....

>Hi Matt and everyone:
>When a chain is "shot" it can break at anytime. If you
>happen to be traveling at speed it can whip around and
>break the tranny or gearbox, mess up your swingarm &
>rear wheel, possibly locking it up causing you to loose
>control, crash, really screw yourself and the bike up.
>Chain maintenance is simple, cheap and very important.
>Your life and safety are dependent upon it.
>Best regards,
>Howard Stephen Serlick
>'00 ST
>31.6K miles
>Philadelphia

The thing is, everyone's idea of SHOT seems different. For instance, I'm on
my second DID X ring chain and sprockets at ~42,000 on my 01 ST now, (21K on
each chain). Anyway, my chain has moderate stretch; maybe 1" between min /
max tension, only pulls off the back sprocket maybe 1/8" and isn't
particularly noisy when spun on the center stand. However, I can tell the X
rings are starting to lose the lube within because there was a small amount
of red powder (not rust) on a FEW LINKS after a hard 400 miler last Saturday
at speed up to 140 indicated. To me, this chain has maybe 2000 miles max
left before it's significantly weakened to the point where it might break.
Now is the time I will be diligently lubing after every ride before changing
chain / sprockets (19/45).

http://extexltd.com/bigrex/Easter-04/Easter04-3.JPG

Bob Nixon
01 Sprint ST