[ST] Chain wear

In a message dated 4/12/04 10:11:40 PM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< So what exactly are the ramifications of pushing a chain when it is shot?

> Does it just finally break?  Does it ruin something else?  I'm thinking I

> may need a new one, but I'm not sure; and this I'm curious about this.

> Thanks.

The authorised way to see if a chain is worn, as described in the owner's
manual, is to take it off, and measure the difference between the compressed and
stretched lengths over a certain number of links. A much easier way is, with
the chain in situ, to try and pluck a joint bacwards off the rear sprocket. If
you can lift the chain off the sprocket to any significant (?2 or 3 mm)
distance, the chain is worn. I don't know what disasters ensue if a worn chain is
not replaced-excessive driveline lash, or parting of the chain, possibly. I
might say that after 18,622  gentle miles, with the use of a Scottoiler for most
of its life, my original Regina chain still passes the pluck test, and the spr
ocket doesn't look worn. Dave Collins, San Diego   ('99 Sprint ST)