Re: [ST] RAM Air

The cold air is great.  I actually haven't had the tank off of my RS to
see what is under there.  If you want good quality hosing and maybe a
nozzle that fits, go to the Pegasus Racing web site.  They sell all
kinds of racing stuff.  I'm sure you could route some hoses around the
radiator.  Doesn't yours have a plastic heat shield over the radiator to
separate the hot and cool air?

Now, that said, I have a pilot's license.  I was flying right seat in a
modified Beech A36 once several years ago.  One of the speed mods was a
ram-air port on the nose.  At about 215 mph, opening the port added 1/2"
of Hg more manifold pressure.  Now that was 5% more at that altitude and
it recovered about 5% more HP that was lost due to altitude.  Not bad
for just a few airplane dollars ($US1 = $AP0.1).  At roughly 100 mph in
the landing pattern, we could not read a change in manifold pressure
when opening the port.

Masiak, Richard wrote:

>Well when I had my gas tank off to check my air filter I noticed the two intake hoses for the airbox come out and curve in toward each other (sitting behind the radiator).
>
>I have two problems with that.  First there's warmer air going into the airbox, and second I don't think the box is getting pressurized.
>
>Come one guyz, there are two little holes in the front fairing which could have had airducting attached.  Why couldn't Triumph have shortend the radiator so duct work would fit?
>
>Also, does anyone know what an optimal volume/pressure would be for the airbox?
>
>Rich

- --
John Albright
'02 RS