RE: [ST] Ride report, April 18

OK - since this list has morphed into what we've ridden, I'll chime in   ;)

Yesterday, a few of us from the DC RAT Pack took the long way out to
Winchester, VA (near the VA/WV border).  Lots of good roads over the Blue
Ridge Mountains.  We all congregated at Winchester Motosports, which was
holding an open house, and hosting the Triumph Truck - so demo rides for us
all.  It was nice to get to ride the other bikes.  I rode a Daytona 955i, a
Speedmaster, and an '02 TT600 (someone's bike that was there).  Some
thoughts:

Daytona 955i - great power, definitely more aggressive ergos than our
Sprints (wouldn't want to be on that all day...), and supremely fun.
Question: how are the people on these bikes not kicking my/our asses all day
long with that thing?  Send them to riding school....

TT 600 - wow, very impressed.  Any fuel injection glitches were gone for
'02.  A VERY comfortable 600.  Not the hyper aggressive ergos of the jap
600's.  Not as "ass-up" and weight on the hands, and it just felt roomier
(which is great, I thought.  I'm 6'2", and the toy 600's are just simply too
small to ride.  I rode the new Kawasaki ZX-6r, and my fiancé' thought I
looked ridiculous on it.  I actually felt as though my head were too far
forward - past the windscreen, such that I had to pull back to see the
gages).  Anyway, if I were to buy a 600, I would buy this.  One disclaimer -
I haven't ridden the Daytona 600).

Speedmaster - Very nice bike.  I think I'm going to get one.  Great sound,
great feel, great look, great character.  Insurance is cheap on this thing,
and the bike is pretty damn cheap too.  Hopefully I'll have one soon to add
to my stable...

So, met some great people.  Some people to head down to the Dragon RAID
with.  And had a nice ride back.

Now today, went out for a local ride on some of my favorite roads.  Great
weather, and lots of fun - but DAMN!!!  The cops were everywhere!!  I was
fortunate to escape them all day, but they were everywhere.  It think that
two of them may have been trying to track down me and the guy I was riding
with.  We were traversing all over the place and we kept seeing these two
going the other direction on the road from us...maybe, or maybe there were
just that many and traveling in pairs.  It sure felt like they were trying
to get us.

Well that's the ride report from this glorious weekend in the greater DC
area.  I hope everyone got out a bit and enjoyed some riding.

Matt Heyer
'01 BRG Sprint ST