[ST] y2k vs 03 ST's

<<
I have been interested in the Sprint ST for a coupla years but had to get
the Harley thang outta my system. My question to the board...now that I'm in
a position to do so is there significant difference between lets say a 2000
versus a 2003-4 that warrants the additional $3-4,000 or more difference in
price provided the 2000 has been treated well?

Thanks,
Feech

I can give my opinion comparing the 45k miles I put on a 1999 model, and the
30k miles I currently have on the 2002 model.

The difference in motor isn't a deal breaker, as far as I'm concerned.  It's
a 10hp increase, at best.  The 'new' style motor is alittle more willing to
rev, but it's not stunning.  They did improve shifting on the new motor
though.  Brand new to '02 shifted like my '99 did after 20k or so miles.
There really arn't that many big differences.  2002 was the first year of a
push-pull throttle cable arrangement.  Previous to that it was a single
cable.  The 2002 model was also the first to loose .5 US gallon of fuel to
make space for a bigger airbox.  Went from 5.6 to 5.1.  The rest of the
changes for '02 and later were minute stuff.  No pass flicker switch, new
switchgear.  After about '03 they might have gone to the new 5 bolt front
rotor pattern, where it used to be 6 bolt.  They did that with the Daytona
955, and most of that kind of hardware/parts are shared across many lines.

If the y2k has been treated well, and you don't feel like bucking up for the
brand new, I'd say go for the 'older' model.  Should do ya just fine.
Either way, happy motoring.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen